I haven’t had much time to update the blog at all this Summer, but my big news is, a new studio is underway for the pottery! For those who have actually seen the small space I have to work with (literally two 4×8 strips, partly overlapping in an ‘L’ shape), this space looks huge to me and hopefully will promote lots more pot-making!
It started with a photo of this barn on Craigslist, advertising storage space. I looked at it and thought, ‘wow, great space’! If it had enough ventilation and the owner was ok with a pottery rather than ‘storage’, I might be good to go. I spoke with numerous other people about potential studio space before I made this call, and no one was crazy about having a pottery operating in their building. Consequently, I didn’t have high hopes. The phone message I left went kind of like: ‘umm, I know this was advertised as storage, but…well… I’m a local potter who is looking for a larger studio, and I thought maybe, if it were at all possible, I could use the barn that you have advertised? It’s just me, and there’s no noise really of any kind…well, there is a kiln (insert mumbling of the word, ‘kiln’ here)…, and so, umm, if this is something you’d be ok with, could you please call me back?‘ And much to my surprise, he did. Not only that, but he was very nice and said if the barn didn’t suit, there was another block barn next to it that a tinsmith ran a business from and I might want to look at that. Once he told me the address, I knew exactly where it was as I have passed it many times before. It was fairly close to home on a well traveled road. There is virtually zero traffic headed to the pottery and the trip (at least in good weather) is a pleasant one. Some shots taken on the way from the car!
Well I looked at the barn, and as beautiful as it was, among other things, I could see right through to the outside through the boards and knew there would be no way I could even think of heating that space. And so, we moved onto the block building. Although a bit dark inside, this building could definitely work. There was plumbing, electric and enough juice to run the kiln (notice I didn’t say ‘heat’ – still working on that)…nor did I mention ‘bathroom’… strategic long range planning will need to be done there. So, long story short – I signed the papers on August 15th and the new studio is undergoing ‘remodel’. Priming, painting, getting an electrician for the lights and kiln hookup, plus new steps for the outside are all in the plans.
Right now I’m saying ‘opening in the Fall of 2012′ – that doesn’t pin me down too much and gives me a lot of leeway!
Here are a few shots of the studio as it’s progressed. I think a lot’s been accomplished just over the past week.
I was at Yorkfest this weekend with my pots and at the last minute, decided to print out some postcards to let people know of the new studio. Stay tuned to the blog for more updates and thanks for reading!